Churches & Services
The Melbury Team comes under the Sheborne Deanery which is part of the Diocese of Salisbury. Church of England Churches within the team include: Cattistock, East Chelborough, West Chelborough, Chilfrome, Corscombe, Evershot, Frome St Quintin, Frome Vauchurch, Halstock, Maiden Newton, Melbury Bubb, Melbury Osmond, Rampisham and Wraxall.
Each village is served by a Team Minister working alongside colleagues and ministers of other traditions within the Church.
St Mary’s, Maiden Newton
“We are a thriving, friendly, growing community with a broad demographic, a sought after school and a range of amenities. We offer pastoral care and outreach activities such as Sunday School, Lunch Hour and Messy Church. There are a range of Bible Study groups. There is good involvement in community events such as election hustings, hosting visiting art exhibitions and firework nights.Read more
St Peter and St Paul, Cattistock
St Peter and St Paul Church is a truly magnificent Church building that is visible from miles around. It has a small and very supportive regular congregation; alongside a very large group of ‘Friends’ that greatly appreciate the building and help support it in many ways.Read more
St Francis, Frome Vauchurch
Frome Vauchurch is a small hamlet, close to the River Frome. It is almost a ’suburb’ of the much larger village of Maiden Newton. St Francis is a charming Norman Church with Pews and an impressive sundial plus a Jacobean Pulpit and a Victorian Chancel.Read more
St Mary’s, Corscombe
St Mary’s Church has had a named clergyman for 700 years, and plays a key part in the local community. There is a pattern of Common Worship services sprinkled with special services throughout the year, both in the church and at other venues. These aim to use special times of the year to make the Christian faith accessible and engaging. One focus at the moment is refurbishing the church to make it "fit for purpose" for community use as well as worship.Read more
Holy Trinity, Chilfrome
Chilfrome is a delightful hamlet set amidst water meadows. Holy Trinity Church dates back to the C13th. The Victorians restored it in 1852. There is a small, dedicated congregation, who value traditional Prayer Book services.Read more
St Michael and All Angels, Rampisham
The Church is important to all the people of the village, not just the few who attend on a Sunday. It is where they have been baptised, married and relatives buried. We have a willing team of volunteers who mow and strim, polish and dust to keep the Church in good heart.Read more
St Mary, Lower Wraxall
St Mary’s Church is a small simple country church, sited at the confluence of 2 water courses. Wraxall is divided into Higher and Lower Wraxall, comprising 17 households in all. Congregations vary between 3 and 10, but we have an average of 100 at Christmas! The church is always open. Sheep eat the grass down over the uneven terrain.Read more
St Andrew, West Chelborough
The church has been rebuilt on various occasions. The two treble bells in the church were cast on site in 1275 and are considered to be the oldest in Dorset.
It attracts worshippers from surrounding villages who prefer the Book of Common Prayer.
St. Osmond’s, Evershot
St. Osmond’s Church dates back to C12th, and was restored by the Victorians in 1864. It is involved in the Summer Country Fair (fete), provides a Harvest Supper for the whole community attended by about 60 and runs a Christmas party for the local community. Carol singing takes place around the village helped by members of the Yeovil Town Band.Read more
St Mary, Melbury Bubb
Melbury Bubb is a small village, with a population of approximately 40 people. It is situated 7 miles south of Sherborne.
The parish church of St Mary has a C15th tower but the rest of the building was largely rebuilt in a C19th restoration. In the winter the church is heated by a log burning stove.Read more
St Osmund’s, Melbury Osmond
As well as the usual range of services, we have Compline once a month, led by a rota of lay people. We have been specifically requested by the PCC to note the popularity of the Book of Common Prayer with many of our regular congregants, though Common Worship is used once a month, and ‘specials’ are usually in contemporary language.Read more
St. Mary, Frome Saint Quintin
The parish of St. Mary’s Church serves a population of approximately 150 and is set in a designated area of natural beauty. The small C14th church stands apart from the village, probably as a result of the plague. It is accessed across an open field and provides a focus for drawing village folk together through village social events.Read more
St Mary’s, Melbury Sampford
The private Chapel of St Mary’s is next to Melbury House, the seat of the Earls of Ilchester since 1964. The village of Melbury Sampford disappeared in the C16th probably due to the rebuilding of Melbury House by Sir Giles Strangways. Inside the chapel there is a beautiful marble reredos depicting the Last Supper. There are occasional services held here.Read more
St James, East Chelborough
There has been a church at Lewcombe since 1218. The present building was built in the 16th or 17th century. There is a wonderful outsize window with glorious colours. We are a tiny but thriving church. Our core congregation welcomes a wide range of visitors; usually we have some refugees wanting the old prayer book service. The church has two regular services per month; sung Matins and an evening Holy Communion service.Read more
St Juthware and St Mary’s, Halstock
The church is mainly Victorian, with a 15th century bell tower and a peal of five bells. There is a range of services and attendance is around 10 to 15, with over 60 attending special services and more at Christmas. We also host a family friendly "Breakfast Church", which meets at 9.30am on the last Sunday of every month.Read more